Thursday, November 12, 2009

I'm looking for uses of Nepenthes mirabilis ( type of pitcher plant)..maybe medical ..how they fit in world

ecology...interactions with other organisms...symbiosis

I'm looking for uses of Nepenthes mirabilis ( type of pitcher plant)..maybe medical ..how they fit in world
A short time ago, I answered a similar question:


http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;...


Might be one of the links is helpful for your research.





The only remarkable content - found till now - is histamine an amine known as vasodilator, irritant and bronchoconstrictor.
Reply:I'm no plant expert, but I do know the basics of evolutionary theory. How they fit in the world? However they can.





Remember that every organism is out first and foremost to support the survival of its own genes. At some point, there must have been an enormous abundance of insects, and some mutant proto-pitcher must have propagated especially well.





I don't think there's much symbiosis about its relationship to the environment. It grows where it may, and eats what it can. To ask about symbiosis between the pitcher plant and its environment would be like asking what sort of symbiosis the lion has with the antelope, or with the savannah.





I wish I had an intelligent answer about how it helps its environment with this or that, but I don't see how it's out for anything but itself.





Hope that helps.


No comments:

Post a Comment